Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Things I have learned recently...

(These are most of the books I get to read between now and May)

I have been collecting a lot of new information in life over the past couple of weeks. Mostly because I started back to school. Here are 10 things I have learned:

1. According to one of my prof's interpretation, if you are a Christian in the south you have not sinned unless you have done one of the "big three" -> sex, drugs or alcohol.
I think there is a lot of truth to that.

2. According to the IMB there are 50 young (21-29 yrs old) missionaries in the hardest mission field in the world. 48 of them are girls and 2 are boys ( I chose to call them boys).

3. According to AA (Alcohol Annonymous) if you are an alcoholic you have a disease. In the same way that a person has a Hepatitis or Cancer. (I completely disagree.)

4. There is a "Christian" AA called Celebrate Recovery that was developed by Saddle Back Church (Rick Warren's church). It is not really Biblical.

5. No matter how good your marriage may be, there is a better one to come.
No matter how bad your marriage may be, there is a better one to come.
Want to be married, it is not the most important thing, there is a better one to come.

6. I hate when people say they are "too busy". A really bad excuse for not doing something. Think of a better excuse or stop being so busy.

7. Coupon clipping and tracking stores for deals takes a lot of time, but saves lots of money.

8. Church Disciple as outlined in Matt. 18 and 1 Cor. 5 is really good for a church to put into practice. However, practicing it is a lot of work.

9. Car insurance is the most ridiculous process I have experienced in a long time. We still don't have an answer and it's been two weeks ago.

10. Shots are expensive and some are painful. To go to the Amazon in a month I needed two shots, Hep A and Yellow Fever. We both needed Typhoid fever pills. These added up to $200! And my left arm still hurts!

6 comments:

leah said...

Hey! I found your blog and I tour working with Celebrate Recovery. I was just curious how you came up with the statement that Celebrate Recovery isn't biblical? Since the whole program is wrapped in scripture and all their principal are from scripture too.

Not trying to challenge you just interested in how you came up with that.
Blessings

Anonymous said...

Matthew 5:3-10 is pretty Biblical to me...

Anonymous said...

Hey! I must (lovingly) disagree with number 6. While you may hate it, I don't think it is necessarily a bad excuse for not doing something. At some point you may just have too many things in your schedule. I guess you can rephrase it and say, "I don't have room in my day/week to add in another activity" but by saying that you are saying that you are too busy. You can't say yes to everything!!!

Anonymous said...

I could make your right arm hurt. You know, if you want to even things out. :)

Us! said...

YOU CRACK ME UP!!!!! i must say that sometimes though, i really am too busy. with 6 schedules, there is a lot of busy. HOWEVER, sometimes it is an excuse for not doing things that i really should do and probably COULD do if i would take the time to figure out how to rework the schedule. but sometimes, some things are just not worth the effort. i think i am rambling. AND, i'm glad you aren't permanently moving to brazil. that was a little overwhelming when i read your little facebook note the other night. now i really am rambling. tell steven i love his new wardrobe. =P

The Helgren Family said...

yeah sad that the "men" in america are too set on living the american dream that they cant be obedient to the call that God has placed on their lives...i AGREE with ALL of the statements made...INCLUDING CR is NOT BIBLICAL...addiction is sin NOT disease! oh goodness now you have me ranting!
BTW...God marriage and family book is EXCELLENT! Kendall just had to read it for a class last year! Much love to our fellow Ms!!!