Monday, December 7, 2009

Parenting


I have learned many things over the past six weeks. For example, I now know where elevators are located in the mall. Learning to care for a newborn brings many challenges, but the biggest challenge to me has been where I fall on the spectrum of styles of parenting. Before Karis I didn't even know there was such philosophies. On one end of the spectrum there is parent-led and on the other is baby-led. Basically do you as the parent direct your baby or do you allow your baby to direct you.

At first I was on the parent-led extreme. I fed her according to the clock not when she wanted to eat and I determined when she was finished eating. We let her cry when trying to go to sleep instead of running to pick her up at the first whimper. Then, we tried the other end of the spectrum. We would stop her from crying at the first sound of displeasure in order to prevent her from getting worked up into a big fuss. We fed her more often because we thought she might be hungry.

Where have we ended up? Well, that's still to be determined. However, I will conclude that we are not at either end of the spectrum. We are not Baby Wise and we are not Attachment Parenting. I like my baby to be on a schedule so that I know what to expect (thank you Baby Wise), but I also like to carry my baby on me so she is comforted.

I have a lot more to learn. Mostly by trial and error. Please feel free to weigh in on your experience and expertise.

2 comments:

gclayton said...

As hard as it was to listen to my mom I found that her way really did work...haha! I was one that I wanted to do it all on my own and my way, but I came to my senses! I let my "mommy" instinct take over too. Sometimes I would second guess myself, but learned that I should just listen to my own head.

roger and courtney said...

I think we pretty much went through the same process and ended up with the same result. I like some of the Baby Wise stuff, but we are definitely not doing all of it. Asher made it pretty easy to be laid back about a schedule because he was pretty laid back about everything. But now that he is older he has sort of fallen into a pretty regular schedule.