Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The story of the girl...



Our second full day in Argentina we headed out to a section of town right along the border of Paraguay. This neighborhood had a church and somewhat of a building to hold services. A pastor and his family had just moved there and recently started meeting with the people. The pastor’s wife Elizabeth had also been counseling students at the local high school. Our main goal was to invite people to come out to our event that night, inform them of the church, and talk to them about their relationship with Christ.
After splitting into teams my team headed out right down the road from the church and began to “knock” on doors. To knock you must clap your hands at the edge of the front yard. I would talk to any women that came to the door and my translator would translate my words. This became less awkward and distracting the more I did it. We came upon a home and “knocked” and out came a young girl carrying a baby boy. She was really open to listening and the Lord prompted me to continue sharing the hope I have in Christ with her. Half way through she started crying so I told her about God’s love for her and the free gift of salvation in Christ alone. I asked her if I could pray for her and if there was anything specific. She just said her family.
After we prayed I asked if she would be coming to the event and she said yes. I told her I would see her there and that was it. We continued on our road. Time came for the event, but there was no sign of her. As we were wrapping up the kids portion of the event and starting the movie I was rounding up the kids when the translator from earlier waved me over. He pointed over to the other side of the field where I saw Elizabeth talking to her. She had come. Several minutes passed and I looked back over to see her crying. I so walked closer and began to pray. The seriousness of the conversation kept me from entering (not to mention that they were speaking in Spanish). I remember asking God to heal her from the pain that was causing her never ending tears. Finally, I walked by and gave her a hug to let her know I was glad she was there.
A few of us left the event to go back to the house and start dinner so I didn’t get to hear what she had said until the team arrived for dinner. Come to find out she had actually met Elizabeth at her school during a counseling session a while back. She had sought counsel for being rapped (she’s only 15). She told Elizabeth that she felt dirty and unworthy and that nothing she has done makes it any better. Sunday, just the day before, she had walked to church to talk to Elizabeth again only to turn around at the corner not once, but twice to return home. Monday morning was when I met her. That night talking to Elizabeth in the field she confessed that she had planned to kill herself that afternoon by jumping off a bridge, but when we came by and told her about the love and hope in Christ she decided to talk to someone instead.
She accepted Christ that night.
God allowed me to be a tool in His kingdom work. I am humbled and delighted to have a new sister in Christ. Although I probably will never see her again on this earth I know I will never forget her face. I saw God change a life and there is nothing more amazing in this world. Please continue to pray for her as she learns to walk with God. Elizabeth is starting to disciple her so pray for that time. Pray that she would read the Bible and hope only in her savior.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

only one word - WOW!